Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dracula / The Real Story (English 101)

Several students have written about Vlad Tepes, or Vlad the Impaler (Dracula) in my English 101, the paranormal themed classes, over the last two years. So, when I saw Bloodlines: The Dracula Family Tree on History International I had to set my DVR. It wasn’t very informative, so I jumped on the internet for more information.

According to many sources, Vlad the Impaler was a real person who lived in Romania in the fifteenth century. I found a blog devoted to him at http://dracula-transylvania.blogspot.com/ that appears to be very detailed. There are links to
• His biography, including his crimes
• His time period and the places he lived, what they were like
• The Dracula myth and connection to Bram Stoker
• Current information about Transylvania
• A media library of image, videos, etc.
• A bibliography / documentation.

I also found a Dracula homepage at http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~emiller/. Certainly, Dracula would make a good topic for Essay Three.

No comments: