Monday, November 16, 2009

Affrilachian

As I began planning for my spring 10 theme: Writing About Appalachia, I attended a professional development day on Appalachia/Affrilachia at the Kentucky Museum of Arts and Crafts. There, I had a chance to hear Frank X. Walker speak / read.

Frank X Walker is the creator of the word Affrilachian ("relating to an African American who lives in Appalachia"). I only heard the work Affilachian in the last two years, though it was coined more than ten years ago. I think it an important word, though, in that it allows one to describe a cultural tradition related to the region but not white nor hillbilly in any stereotypical way.

Walker was unexpectantly (to me, anyway) funny. He was sarcastic and witty. He laughed at himself, at the topics, and at the audience, all while discussing important social issues. He tackled racism (among other things) head on as he claimed, "A License Plate Called me a Nigger Today" (it's poem four at this link on Facebook) and read this poem about being in a place where everyone had a conferate flag on his (her too?) vehicle.

Affrilachian Poets have a website and a fan page on Facebook. I look forward to reading more of their work.

No comments: